Passover/ Easter is approaching. It's the time of year when I breakout Marcy Goldman's recipe for MATZOH BUTTER CRUNCH. I try not to make it too far in advance, afraid that it will bee consumed before the first night of Seder. MY KICHEN becomes engulfed with the sweet perfume of butter & homemade brown sugar cooking on my stove top. That alone makes my heart beat a little faster. After all spring is approaching, we can soon shed our winter coats, scarfs & gloves for more colorful attire. Tulip bulbs are beginning to unfurl from their long winter's sleep. Birds are serenading their intentions to build a nest. Our little speck on the earth is rejoicing once again with promises of great things to come.
Matzoh butter crunch recipe
1C unsalted butter
1C dark brown sugar ( I make mine by putting 1C white sugar in a food processor with 1/4 t vanilla , & 1 1/2T molasses, pulse until blended
4 -6 matzoh boards
1 C semi sweet Chocolat chips
1 C chopped nuts. (I use pecans & hazelnuts)
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees
2) prepare a lipped cook sheet by lining it with HEAVY DUTY aluminum foil. Add a sheet of parchment paper on top of the foil. Place the matzoh boards on top of the parchment. Cover the entire surface with the matzoh. You will need to cut some boards to fit the pan.
3)melt the butter & sugar in a medium size heavy duty sauce pan on medium heat.stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to stir the mixture and cook an addition three minutes.
4) Carefully pour the hot butter sugar mixture over the prepared matzoh. Using a spatula to evenly cover all the matzoh.
5) Turn oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Bake the matzoh in the oven for 15 minutes. ( I check every five minutes to turn cookie sheet so that a "hot spot" doesn't burn the sugar). Remove from oven when fully cooked
6) Sprinkle Chocolat chips on hot matzoh. Let stand five minutes so that chips melt.
7) Spread melted chips to cover matzoh completely. Sprinkle nuts over top
8). Refrigerate until ready to serve. Break matzoh into bite size pieces and serve.